Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Words with Friends Addiction & the Government

It's been a while since I last posted because I've been too busy to write. Busy playing Words with Friends. Who knew how addictive that game could be?  I have a theory that the video game industry was originally developed by the government to numb the minds of the people and make them ignore what the government was doing until it was too late to stop them.  I used to scoff at the people on Facebook who played Farmville incessantly and laugh at the invitations to join their mafias.  Oh how far the scoffer has fallen!

I have no less than 5 games going at one time; usually more.  I had no idea how badly sucked in I was until I realized that I've spent more time trying to work out words than anything else this week other than sleeping, and even that is questionable.  What is it about WwF that makes it so addicting?  I'm wondering if it is because we can be fully delusional by saying "It's ok, it's educational.  I'm giving my brain a work out."?  Alzheimer's does run in my family, so if WwF helps prevent me from getting that, I'd be happy.

The funny thing is, there is no other game on my iPod that I care to play.  For a while I did engage in the occasional game of Plumber's Crack - a mind numbing game where you try to flick ice-cubes in the plumber's crack to win the coins falling out of his pockets - but I realized how truly stupid that game was and deleted it from my iPod, much to the chagrin of my Kindergartner who enjoyed the game immensely.  But, other than that, WwF has become my crack.  If I could figure out how to use TweetDeck I would probably be on that more than WwF, but I'm too busy trying to find words to research the TweetDeck tools.

I think there is something to my theory of the government's involvement with getting the Nation addicted to video games.  In Huxley's "Brave New World", people are ordered to engage in all sorts of carnality and pleasure-producing stimuli and games.  The government figured out that allowing the people to engage their baser pleasure-seeking natures created a society where most people lost the desire to worry about anything else but seeking pleasure, even when they eventually becomes slaves in their own society.  Perhaps our government has found a way to do something similar to us.  Think about how many people know all about the thousands of games/apps on their phones and can tell you all about which celebrity is in rehab or which one is getting divorced but have no idea what is going on in Congress or even in their local governments - see the connection?

My Words With Friends is calling me....gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment